Posted by Happy Homemaker UK

This week has been filled with excitement around the premiere of Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows: Part I. Here the movie will be in theaters tomorrow (films usually come a few months later than in the US). 

Daniel Radcliff (aka Harry) and Emma Watson (Hermione) were interviewed by my local radio station on my way to school! Too cool!

Emma Watson at Harry Potter London Premiere
[Telegraph.co.uk]

Emma is wearing a red poppy, the symbol of The Poppy Appeal and Remembrance Day of the Armed Forces. Everyone in my part of town wore one last week.

View video interviews of Daniel and Emma here. Emma talks about not being allowed to cut or color her hair (thus the new 'do), get a suntan, or snow ski because of her constant role as Hermione Granger over the last ten years. 

The other exciting news is the engagement of Prince William to Kate Middleton. I think the general feel here is the country has a deep fondness for Prince William due to the early loss of his beloved mother. And while the English seem to like that they have royalty, they also feel it is a huge financial burden and a bit out-dated.

Newly Engaged: Prince William and Kate Middleton
[guardian.co.uk]

In comparison to the US, UK tabloid newspapers are much bigger business here. Not only are there more of them, but they are published daily (or even twice daily) instead of weekly. My guess as to why is many people use public transportation, like The Tube, and have more time to read. 

Today the radio reported that Kate was seen leaving Westminster Abbey and therefore will probably be having the wedding there. Their engagement has certainly added fuel to the tabloid fire!

I think of the bumpy road the couple has ahead of them. I don't envy them, but I certainly wish them the very best. Weddings are so exciting! Especially of the royal fairy-tale variety :)

Okay, I have to admit I did buy one of those tabloids as a souvenir yesterday :)

XO Laura

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top