Posted by Happy Homemaker UK

Now I am no bird expert, but on our first morning, I heard what sounded like 'tropical bird squawking'. Being 'sleuthy', I discovered there were parakeets in our backyard! LOVE that!

According to Telegraph.co.uk, ''the birds first came to Britain as pets but some escaped into the wild and are now a common site in suburban South East England''.

Ring-Neck Parakeet                                                         (image: telegraph.co.uk)

The article states, ''the population has now reached a record 20,000. Bedecked with emerald green feathers and a rose-red beak, the ring-neck parakeet was brought to the UK from India and was first reported in the wild in 1969''.

So we marched right out and bought ourselves a see-through bird feeder so we can hopefully see them up close.


So now I don't need to buy my son a pet bird, right?

Article Link: www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/3531948/Parakeets-now-outnumber-native-British-birds-after-escaping-into-the-wild.html

[You're Invited! If you enjoyed this post, please consider following me: www.HappyHomemakerUK.blogspot.com ]

XO
Laura

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top